Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Recipe a Week Challenge: Week 6


 
 

The last week of the July Recipe Challenge and it ends with dessert. A little sweetness to finish off the challenge. Once again I gave MrB the choice of which dish he wanted me to make (let’s be real, it’s for him anyway). I had my fingers crossed that he would select Tiramisu which is my favourite dessert. I just love the richy creaminess and the coffee/chocolate combination. But so few places do it right and often all you taste is alcohol and gelatine.

MrB chose the Lamington Slice. To be honest, I wasn’t very happy or excited when this was the result. I have never been a big fan of these cake and coconut combo. This is part of the challenge though, right? To step out of the comfort zone and to try something new. And if Lauren was willing to try anchovies, I could make this cake.

I decided to make it as a dessert for the family Sunday lunch after everyone completed Walk the Talk (some treats after the 8km walk sounded like a great plan!). It was really easy to make and it didn’t take long at all. Everyone said they really enjoyed it (although I do suspect they are just being nice). I must confess I was a little annoyed that the recipe is all in weight measurements. We don’t have a kitchen scale. I ended up guessing my way through it.

On Monday the leftovers were sent to MrB’s work for his team to enjoy. He shared some photos of the Lamington’s on site.

See the original recipe here

 

Donna Hay’s Lamington Slice


250g butter at room temperature
2 ¾ cups caster sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
250ml milk

2 cups icing sugar
80ml cocoa powder
150ml boiling water
50g butter, melted

 

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Grease and line a 30cm rectangular cake pan with baking paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract. Beat well until light and creamy.
Add the eggs one by one and mix well after each addition
In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
Add a little bit of flour to the butter and egg mixture. Mix well. Then add a little bit milk and mix well. Continue adding the flour and milk, alternating between the two. Mix well after each addition.
Spoon the batter into the cake tin and smooth over.
Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool
For the icing, mix all the ingredients together.
When the cake is cool, pour the icing over the cake. Sprinkle with coconut.
Allow to sit for 10 minutes and serve.
 
Enjoy!
 
Go ahead and see what the other ladies made this week
 
Some sweetness during MrB's work day

Adding some life to the site "kitchen"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment